As holiday season is getting closer. I start to miss my hometown more and more. Every year, I will travel home to celebrate with my family as well as food hunting!! Well, that may not be happening this year due to the current complicated situation.
However, with more time staying indoor at home, I have more time to experiment in my kitchen!! I decided to make one of the common side dish or snack in Malaysia -> Chwee Kueh. It is a kind of steam rice cake that is light and always appetizing to eat with preserved pickles!
Chwee Kueh Recipe
Yield : 6 servings
Time : 30-45 minutes
- 75g rice flour
- 6g corn starch
- 6g AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 200ml cold water
- 200 hot water
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce (I use ABC brand here)
- 1/2 packet preserved radish
- Crispy fried shallots/ onions (as preference)
- Mix all the flour together with salt.
- Stir in the water into the dry mixture until they are fully incorporated.
- Then, slowly pour in the hot water. Stir while pouring.
- Add in a tsp of oil into the mixture and mix.
- Now, you will see a very ‘liquid’ and dilute mixture. Don’t worry. It is normal 🙂 The liquidity makes the kuih fluffy and lighter to eat.
- Equally pour them into 6 greased ramekins.
- Steam for 20-25 minutes until they are cooked.
- Soak half packet of preserved radish with water for 15 minutes.
- Heat the pan. Once it is hot, pour in some oil.
- Then, stir fry the crispy fried shallots with picked radish.
- Add in sweet soy sauce. Continue to stir fry until fragrance.
- Season with some pepper and salt , if you think it is not salty enough.
Note : The toppings do taste salty if you eat it by itself. Serving with the kuih base makes the best combo 🙂
Let me know if you like this recipe! Or what is your favorite side dishes or snacks?