𝐏𝐮𝐥𝐮𝐭 𝐒’𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬, a fusion way to have an American snack. Will you try it?
𝘗𝘶𝘭𝘶𝘵 is the Malay word for Glutinous Rice. In Malaysia, there is a common dessert (we call it “kuih”) -𝘗𝘶𝘭𝘶𝘵 𝘛𝘢𝘪 𝘛𝘢𝘪 , which is made with sweet blue glutinous rice and coconut milk. It is commonly paired with coconut jam (kaya) or sweetened coconut flakes, that makes it more aromatic.
One day while I was eating my 𝘱𝘶𝘭𝘶𝘵 with kaya, this random idea just popped out on my mind when I saw my marshmallow and chocolate on the counter top. What about we do some experiment here, pairing the 𝘱𝘶𝘭𝘶𝘵 with s’mores and chocolate. How will the texture be? What about the taste? Would it be weird?
So, I decided to give it a try, since i can always separate the layer if it tastes very unacceptable. But, guess what, the result is… This COMBO tastes SUPERB (at least for me haha). Unlike typical S’mores, The rice layer creates an additional soft, chewy texture on top of the crispiness from the graham crackers. The combination of coconut, dark chocolate and sweet marshmallow is very satisfying. The creamy coconut fuses with the chocolate so well that I can’t stop eating them.
I guess, I found myself a new comfort food.
Yield : 6 pieces
Time : 15 minutes active time + 40 minutes cooking time
- 150g Glutinous Rice
- 1 tsp of butterfly pea flower powder
- 50ml of coconut milk
- Marshmallow, Chocolate and Graham Crackers
* You can have as many toppings as you prefer 🙂
- Pinch of salt
- Wash your glutinous rice and soak them overnight.
*1/3 of them with butterfly pea flower + water and 2/3 of them with water
- The next day, rinse off the glutinous rice. Layer them into a tray (any shape as long as you can steam them).
- Pour in the coconut milk. Sprinkle with some salt.
- Steam it for ~40 minutes until the rice is cooked.
*if the color is not blue enough, you can add in a little butterfly pea flower here and blend it well.
- Cool the 𝘗𝘶𝘭𝘶𝘵 down. Press the 𝘗𝘶𝘭𝘶𝘵 into shapes that you like. I pressed it to a square shape with about 0.4 inch.
- Now you are ready to stack your SMOREs.
SO here are my layers…
𝘗𝘶𝘭𝘶𝘵 → Toasted Marshmallow →Chocolate → Crackers
Enjoy and let me know if you like this combination!