Scallion pancake is one of the common street food/ breakfast in Asian. Unlike western-style pancake, it has crispy edge with chewy inner layer.
Even though it seems to be plain, the aroma of the scallions in fact contributes to its flavor. It adds a little spice to the pancake, showing some contradiction with the five spice powder meanwhile, blends well with saltiness.
I miss the scallion pancake that I had when I was traveling in Taiwan and I decided to learn how to make it so that I can enjoy it whenever I want 🙂
A combination of egg and the scallion pancake, pairing with a cup of unsweetened soy milk, are always the perfect breakfast to kick the great start of the day.
Yield : 6 pancakes
Active Time : 50-55 minutes
Inactive Time : 30 minutes
- 300g flour
- 150ml hot water
- 50ml room temp water
*I used about 1 bunch
- Five spice powder + salt
- Vegetable Oil
- Mix 150ml of hot water into 300g of flour.
- When you see some crumbs, add in 50ml of cold water. Gently mix them and then we can start kneading it into a dough.
- When the water and flour mix well, you should be able to get a ball shape.
- Rest the dough in a bowl and cover it with wet towel or a plastic wrap. Set it aside for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the toppings.
Shaping the Dough
- First, roll the dough into a long cylindrical shape.
* Remember to dust your surface so that it will make your life easier while rolling or shaping it.
- Cut the dough into 6 portions and put it back into the covered bowl.
* To get a flaky pancake, you might have to knead it for at least 50 times.
- Flatten the dough and brush a layer of oil on the top surface, follow by the toppings. Be generous about them!
- Slowly roll it into a rope shape. For the swirl shape, take the rope and swirl it around itself. * Trick : pinch the end so that it will not unravel when you flatten it for the second time.
- Take one of the swirled dough out and flatten it to 0.5cm thick.
- Brush it with a layer of oil and pan fry it!!
- The scallion pancake is considered done when both sides are golden brown. It is best to served warm!
Check out this video on YouTube on more!
You can also be creative by wrapping it with your favorite toppings!
- Chicken Floss
- Pork Belly
- Red bean / Taro