This is one of my favorite quick lunch ideas. It is simple yet very nutritious. I used to wonder why avocado toast went viral as a delicious, healthy diet. It sounds plain and dull to me at the very beginning. However, I realized that it tastes very good if you make it the right way.
Avocado is considered as a superfood. It contains a lot of nutrients and antioxidants, such as folic acid, Omega 3, magnesium, potassium, lutein and fibre. It is rich in vitamins A, C, D, E, K and B too. Apart from that, according to some research and studies, avocado brings positive impacts on diabetes, cholesterol or heart health, and weight management.
Thus, avocado toast with poached egg, this simple meal constitutes a balanced amount of healthy fat, carbs and eggs; that makes it a wise choice for lunch.
Avocado Toast Recipe
Yield : 1 serving
Time : 15 minutes (from preparation to the egg)
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 piece of toast
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Mash half avocado and season it with salt and pepper. Note : Don’t mash your avocado on top of your toast. You will get mushy toast.
- Toast your bread.
- Spread the mashed avocado on your toast.
- Add in some lightly roasted cherry tomatoes.
- Top with with a poached egg. (If you like, you can add some extra protein. I added some bacon here for some crispiness)
- Sprinkle with pepper or some hot sauce if you like some spice.
How to make a poached egg?
- Bring some water into boil. Then turn to low heat to simmer it
- Meanwhile, add in some vinegar into the water.
Note : The vinegar helps to make the egg white firm and hold together
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and then slowly put/ lay the egg into the hot water.
- Cover the water and simmer the egg for 3.5 minutes (4 minutes if you like a firmer egg yolk)
Note : Do not to bring the water into boiling condition, this destroys the shape of the egg.
- Then, you are all set.
Lightly roasted cherry tomatoes
- Place some cherry tomatoes into a pan.
- Sprinkle with some salt, pepper, rosemary and oil.
- Bake it for about 5-6 mins on 360F/180C